indisfarne Priory on Holy Island was one of the most
important centres of early Christianity in Anglo-Saxon England. It is
still a place of pilgrimage today, the dramatic approach across the
causeway adding to the fascination of the site.
t Aidan founded the monastery in AD 635, but St
Cuthbert, prior of Lindisfarne, is the most celebrated of the priory's
holy men. Buried in the priory, his remains were transferred to a
pilgrim shrine there after 11 years, and found still undecayed - a sure
sign of sanctity.
rom the end of the 8th century, the isolated island
with its rich monastery was easy prey for Viking raiders. In 875 the
monks left, carrying Cuthbert's remains, which after long wanderings
were enshrined in Durham Cathedral in 1104, where they still rest. Only
after that time did Durham monks re-establish a priory on Lindisfarne:
the evocative ruins of the richly decorated priory church they built in
c. 1150 still stand, with their famous 'rainbow arch' - a vault-rib of
the now vanished crossing tower. The small community lived quietly on
Holy Island until the suppression of the monastery in 1537.
he museum offers visitors clear and lively
interpretation of the story of St Cuthbert and the development of
nglish Heritage hosts a programme of living history
events at the priory during the summer.
he causeway floods at high tide, so it is very
important to check the tide times before crossing. There are tide tables
at each side of the causeway. Details are available from the
Berwick-upon-Tweed Tourist Information Centre (01289 330733) or you can
check the causeway opening times on the Holy Island website.
nglish Heritage exists to protect and promote
England's spectacular historic environment and ensure that its past is
researched and understood. Click here for more details of English
Heritage sites in North Northumberland.
Daily Opening times (2023)
Children under 18:£5.50
Children under 5:Free
* Family Group (2 adults):£24.50
* Family Group (1 adult):£15.00
* up to 3 children
Members:- Join now!
Overseas Visitor Pass (9 or 16 days unlimited)
30 minutes before closing
Museum, Family learning, Guidebook, Gift shop - Toilets and parking in village.
The causeway floods at high tide
so it is very important to check the tide times before
For more information call
01289 389200 or
English Heritage sites to
in North Northumberland